CTCA and a trip to Chicago!

May 25, 2017

Last week we made the trip down to cancer treatment center for my 6 month scans. I am so happy to report that my scans were clear and my lab work was good. I was a little hesitant to write this post quite yet because there is a little confusion on how many follow-up appointments I have left. After I get the final all clear from my Oncologist my mind is celebrating and I space out a little. So, now I cannot remember if he said he will see me in six months or if he said a year. I remember him saying something about graduating to a year but there was also talk of six months in there. He hasn’t put my return orders in yet so we shall see.

Another reason my appointment was a little hectic (besides my space brain) is because we really got to talking about my swelling. I got an order for physical therapy and that should really help take the swelling down. There was also talk about some new procedures that could possibly help lyphedema folks like myself. Now I have an official diagnosis! I have fallen into the 5-10% of women that have lyphedema after a radical hysterectomy.  (Somehow I keep lucking out and falling into the 5-10% category.) So, from now on every wasp sting, bug bite or injury has the potential of becoming easily infected and could cause my leg to swell. I always had a little swelling after my surgery but this has been extreme. It is to the point that some of my jeans don’t fit my right leg. I am happy to be starting physical therapy next week and I will still be keeping my stockings and diuretics close.

Since my appointments for lab and scans started so early we were able to finally travel to Chicago in the afternoon. We took the train (very metropolitan) down to Chicago. It was about an 1 1/2 ride with about 14 stops. We literally had no plans on what we were going to do there so things got a little hairy once we got to the station. Since we were on foot and still on a time crunch we knew we wouldn’t make it to Navy Pier. Of course our phones were acting up so it made it hard to navigate. So, we just started walking and “discussing” where to go.

After what felt like a million blocks we found a pizza place for lunch. I really wanted to go to Millennium Park but we really had no clue exactly where it was or really where we were. After our amazing pizza my phone started working and we were only three blocks from Millennium Park. By the way the deep dish Chicago pizza is delish! We literally stepped out of the restaurant and we could see the park.

We ended up spending most of our time walking around the park and seeing all of the sights. It was very warm that day and really not that windy. I am so glad we had a nice day! After the park we decided we should probably get back to the train station. We stopped in only one shop on the way back to the station. Of course, it was the Disney store so we could bring something back for Avery.

I am hoping to make it back down to Chicago sometime and check out the other things the city has to offer. Now that we know more of the layout of the city it should be easier. I snapped a couple of pics of the city and I will share them below. I hope you enjoy them!

The train we took to Chicago

Chicago public library

Outdoor concert area in Millennium Park

Art made from recycled tires in Millennium Park

The Bean!!

You Might Also Like


  • Reply April May 25, 2017 at 7:11 pm

    So glad that you are cancer free!!! Congratulations! I have a coworker at the cancer center of America right now getting some tests done.

    • Reply Autumn May 26, 2017 at 9:14 am

      Thank you!! Sending good vibes to your coworker. They are definitely in good hands.

  • Reply Tasha May 25, 2017 at 8:57 pm

    I love random explorations of unfamiliar cities.

    • Reply Autumn May 26, 2017 at 9:15 am

      It was fun! Just wish we had more time. Maybe next time we will try it again.

    Leave a Reply

    %d bloggers like this: